Liveaboard Great Barrier Reef is the best way to see the GBR
Why stay near the Great Barrier Reef when you can enjoy paradise on the Great Barrier Reef!?
Liveaboard tours take you to destinations that day tours can’t reach, with access to the very best scuba diving and snorkelling locations!
Choose either a standard ‘Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard’ tour or a VIP ‘Luxury Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard’ tour.
Next, select your Great Barrier Reef stay dates and add activities. Follow the prompts and if you have any questions, click on live chat or send us an email.
Why choose a liveaboard tour on the Great Barrier Reef?
1. Wake up on the Great Barrier Reef
Encounter the Reef at its best – day and night. The benefits of more time on the Great Barrier Reef mean that you experience the Reef’s animals throughout the day, sunrise and sunset, having the most abundant marine life activity.
Sunrise is by far the most active and beautiful time on the Reef.
Sunrise is when the colourful, exotic fish of the day thrive in the bustle to wake up and find their morning feed. While the night creatures of the Reef – sharks, lobsters, stingrays etc. – are still winding down from the night’s activities.
Plus, night diving on the Great Barrier Reef is on most Scuba Diver’s bucket lists!
2. Spectacular Outer Barrier Reef locations
More time on the Reef! Liveaboard tours offer up to six water sessions at a variety of spectacular reef locations every day, meaning there’s plenty of time to scuba dive, snorkel or relax in paradise.
See our Reef locations.
3. Time to Relax!
The beauty of the Great Barrier Reef isn’t only in the water. Sunrise and sunset over the Coral Sea are spectacular vistas to behold, while liveaboard facilities offer everything from licensed bars, outdoor hot tubs, and even helicopter tours over the Reef. There are lots to do in your spare time!
4. Scuba Diving
Scuba Diving on the Great Barrier Reef is available with liveaboard tours for all abilities and levels of experience. ‘Certified dive tours’ are for experienced divers who have a current scuba diving qualification, while ‘resort dive tours’ are for beginner scuba enthusiasts and require no prior experience for those who don’t already have a licence.
For those unsure whether scuba diving is for them, most liveaboards offer the chance to decide whether to give it a try during their trip.
Snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef is included with all liveaboard tours and is a fantastic way to experience the incredible natural wonder for all ages and levels of experience. Assistance is offered to non-swimmers, while experienced snorkelers are free to explore the vast diversity of marine life at every stage throughout the daytime across various spectacular reef locations.
6. Glass Bottom Boat Tours
Glass bottom boat tours are available free of charge with most liveaboard excursions, upon request, and offer an alternative to getting wet that’s suitable for all ages and abilities.
7. Daily Departures
Liveaboard tours are flexible with your travel plans. Cairns liveaboard trips use small, fast transfer boats to take you to your liveaboard boat – meaning you can start your Great Barrier Reef experience on the day that suits you – and stay on the Reef as long as you like!
Liveaboard Facilities and Accommodation
Hotel-style accommodation on a Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard
- ‘Reef Encounter’ offers a choice between double or twin bed staterooms
- Spacious, fully air-conditioned ocean view staterooms
- All staterooms have their ensuite toilet and shower
- Towels and toiletries provided (soap, shampoo and conditioner)
- All Staterooms have Australian power outlets
- Tea and coffee station in the communal area open all-day
- Hotel-style catamaran, designed for the utmost stability and comfort at sea
- Large dining saloon
- Fully licenced bar
- TV and lounge area
- Helicopter pad for scenic helicopter transfers
- Outdoor, freshwater hot-tub
- Spacious sundeck with sun loungers
- Large, easy access dive and snorkel platforms with stairs into the water
Should I choose a standard liveaboard or Top Deck?
Standard ‘Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard’ Tours
- A standard liveaboard includes your tour of a variety of outer Great Barrier Reef’s, fantastic hotel-style accommodation, excellent Chef-prepared meals and any activities you choose (scuba diving, snorkelling etc.)
- Accommodation is spacious and air-conditioned – all staterooms have an ensuite and ocean view, and you have full access to the vessels facilities, such as a sundeck, bar, hot tub etc., plus the best crew on the Great Barrier Reef! Read More
‘Luxury Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard’ Tours
- The ‘Luxury’ liveaboard tour is ideal for couples looking for a luxury getaway vacation, groups who enjoy a bit of VIP treatment or anyone who desires personalised in-water care.
- Much like a first-class with an airline, the Luxury Tour comes with many additional extras, including a personal crew member for private scuba and snorkel guided tours, late check-out times, the best rooms on the boat, champagne upon arrival, evening turn-down cabin service, luxury three-course evening meals served under the stars, evening cocktails and more! Read More