Dive the Outer Great Barrier Reef on a Budget!
If it’s value for money and a day scuba diving and snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef that you’re after, then our budget scuba cruise has it all!
Our budget ‘Reef Cruise Resort Divers’ tour is for introductory or beginner divers who do not already have a scuba licence. No prior experience is necessary as all instruction is given on the day. You’ll be guided on an unforgettable tour around beautiful coral reef by an experienced Scuba Instructor, with plenty of time to snorkel too!
Already a licenced, qualified diver? …Click here to see our budget scuba dive tour for Qualified Divers
Tour Highlights & Inclusions
- Up to 4 hours at two Outer Great Barrier Reef locations
- One Resort Scuba Dive for introductory or beginner divers. Option to add additional dive. Scuba equipment included. Scuba diving is subject to medical conditions in Australia – see ‘Important Information for Scuba Divers’ below
- Unlimited Snorkeling. Snorkeling mask, snorkel and fins included
- Free buoyancy aids – snorkeling vests and noodles
- Delicious BBQ Lunch with fresh salads (Dietary requirements catered for: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and food allergies – please advise upon booking)
- Fruit Platters while boarding. Tea & coffee available all day while boat stationary. Water fountain to fill your water bottle
- Glass of wine, cheese & crackers on return journey
- Assistance for non-confident swimmers from friendly crew
- Boom netting – “The Wild Ride” (weather permitting)
- Reef tax, fuel levy & national park fees for visiting the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park are included in this trip cost
- Optional extra activities include adding an additional Second Scuba Dive and Glass-Bottom Boat Tours
- Second Scuba Dive. Subject to medical conditions – see ‘Important Information for Scuba Divers’ below
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour (weather permitting)
- Wetsuit Hire (During jellyfish season in the tropics, stinger suits are included with your trip. These are not the same as wetsuits, which provide flotation and warmth)
- Underwater Digital Camera Hire
- Snack Bar Purchases: Soft drinks, chocolate, chips, alcohol etc.
- Prescription Mask Hire if you require stronger lenses to see (contact lenses can be worn in most circumstances)
- Bus transfers from accommodation to and from the Cairns Marina: From Cairns City accommodation $12.00AUD return per person / Outside Cairns City area $22.00AUD return per person
What to Bring
- Cash or credit card for purchases – Credit Card available for purchases over $10.00AUD
- Swimming Clothes, Towel, Hat, Sunglasses, Sun Cream
Compass Cruises departs from Cairns Marina: ‘Marlin Wharf berth 18‘ View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
Boarding commences at 7:25 am for check-in, directly on the boat ‘Compass’Arrive back to Cairns Marina at approximately 5:30pm
Terms of Tour
- Please read full Policies, Terms & Conditions prior to booking any tour. Below is a brief overview only
- Scuba Diving Activities (applies to both Beginner and Certified divers):
- No refunds on uncompleted dives
- Ages 12+ years for all scuba activities
- You will be required to complete a medical questionnaire before participating in any scuba activities – SEE Important Information for SCUBA DIVING below
- Compass Cruises can cater for vegetarians, vegans, gluten free and any food allergies. Please inform of dietary or other special requirements prior to date of travel
- Please re-confirm your reservation 48 hours prior to travel
- We require 48 hours to re-schedule a trip subject to availability (see Cancellation Policy)
- Locations, prices, vessel and itinerary are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances without notice but with full consideration for your enjoyment and safety
- Travel and dive insurance are highly recommended. We strongly recommend that all clients have travel insurance covering illness, injury, medical evacuation, loss or damage to personal belongings and not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure
- No alcohol may be consumed prior to in water activities
- Please remember you need to allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying
- As with all boats to the Great Barrier Reef, Compass is a non-smoking vessel
- 07:30 – Board the boat Compass, at Cairns Marina ‘Marlin Wharf Berth 18’, for check-in. View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
- 08:00 –Depart Cairns to the Outer Great Barrier Reef. Safety talk, snorkel and dive briefings
- 10:30 – Arrive at your first Great Barrier Reef Location
- 12:30 – BBQ Lunch with fresh salads
- 13:00 – Cruise to 2nd Reef Location
- 15:30 – Depart the Great Barrier Reef
- 17:30 – Approximate Arrival time at Cairns Marina
Important Information FOR SCUBA DIVING
Our budget ‘Reef Cruise Resort Divers’ tour is for introductory or beginner divers who do not already have an ‘Open Water Scuba Licence’ or above. Already a licenced, ‘Certified’ diver? …Click here to see our budget scuba tour for Qualified Divers
What is a Resort/Introductory Dive? Resort diving requires no previous scuba experience. Conducted in small groups of 4 guests, under the supervision of an experienced Dive Instructor. Resort dives give beginners an unforgettable Great Barrier Reef experience without having to complete a full scuba diving course. Please follow the link above if you are not a qualified Certified Diver to book a budget Resort Dive tour
What is a Certified Dive? A Certified Scuba dive is when you have completed an “Open Water” Dive Course or higher and have a divers licence as proof of qualification (generally takes 3 – 4 days to complete)
Can anyone go Scuba Diving? If you are able to swim and are in good physical health you can probably dive. Scuba Diving in Australia is subject to medical conditions – this applies to beginner Resort Divers AND qualified Certified Divers alike. Both past and present, medication and/or health concerns may prevent participation in scuba activities (See Medical Conditions). The minimum age for resort diving is 12 years.
Queensland Dive Laws are the strictest in the World – with the safest dive record in the world
IMPORTANT Please be aware that some Medical Conditions (past or present) or Medications that are being taken could prevent you from participating in scuba activities. If you wish to partake in our ‘Resort’ Introductory Scuba Dive OR Certified Scuba Dive, it is the passengers responsibility to ensure they are medically fit to dive. To prevent disappointment on-the day, if you have had any medical condition OR are taking any medication OR have ANY health condition, please contact our friendly team who can advise whether you are required to get an Australian Standards Medical Certificate prior to the day of your trip.
If you are taking any Medications for anything we can check if these are safe for diving with the local accredited Scuba Dive Doctor before your tour and let you know in advance by email if they may prevent you diving. This is necessary as some medications can become dangerous under pressure. These checks may be done within 90 days of your reef trip and are valid as long as there is no change in your medical situation. (Medication checks can also be done on the day of travel, however in some instances it can be difficult for the dive doctor to approve without consultation with you, so it is recommended to check in advance if this will be necessary). On your day of travel, we can only give them the information submitted to us on your medical form so please understand that the Dive Doctor may require a medical consultation to clear you for diving in advance of your trip.
If you have EVER suffered from any of the following conditions, you will be required to bring a current dive medical certificate stating that it conforms to Australian Standard ‘AS.4005.1‘ before being allowed to Scuba Dive. These include, but are not limited to:
- Asthma / Wheezing OR use of an Inhaler even for sports endurance or allergies
- Brain, spinal cord or nervous disorder (including Epilepsy)
- Chronic bronchitis, persistent chest complaint or any lung condition
- Chronic sinus condition
- Collapsed Lung (pneumothorax)
- Chest Surgery
- Heart Disease of any kind
- Any Heart Conditions – past or present
- Crones Disease
- Anything that may cause fits, faints or blackouts
If you are CURRENTLY suffering from or have recently had any of the following conditions or procedures, you will be required to bring a current dive medical certificate stating that it conforms to Australian Standard ‘AS. 4005.1‘ before being allowed to Scuba Dive. These include, but are not limited to:
- High or Low Blood Pressure
- Chronic ear discharge or infection
- Ear Surgery
- Recurrent ear problems when flying
- Any disease
- Any illness or operation within the last 3 months
- Perforated eardrum
**Being pregnant will prohibit you from Scuba Diving**
Please be aware that the above does not cover every medical condition there maybe other medical conditions not listed.
It is not our company’s decision regarding these laws – we are regulated by the Queensland Government
Please contact our office, if you require further information regarding possible medical conditions
If you have existing or pre-existing medical conditions, operations, taking medication, have used an inhaler then you will need permission from the Dive Doctor to Scuba Dive. If you have any doubts or queries regarding the above, please be proactive and contact our office to avoid disappointment on the day.
Flying after Scuba divingFor a single no decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive. For multiple dives you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive. If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive. We recommend waiting a minimum 24 hours whenever possible
**Some medical conditions (past or present), medications and/or health conditions may prevent participation in scuba diving activities
Please read the Policies, Terms & Conditions before booking any tour
Reef Cruise Resort Divers
Great Barrier Reef Budget Cruise
We accept Visa Card or Mastercard and PayPal. Please note any dietary or other requirements in the booking message. If you are purchasing bus transfers with your tour, please include the name and location of your accommodation & expect to be contacted with a pick up time. Please call to confirm your trip 48 hours in advance on +61 7 4037 2700. Please read the conditions regarding scuba diving activities on our website. Locations and itineraries are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances without notice, but with full consideration of your enjoyment
Compass Cruises require 48 hours advance to make any changes to your booking.
The cancellation fees are as follows:
20% cancellation fee 30 days or more prior to departure.
50% cancellation fee if within 30 days prior to departure.
100% cancellation fee within 14 days prior to departure.
Schedules are subject to change.
Terms And Conditions
Locations, prices and itineraries are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances without notice but with full consideration of your enjoyment.
• Travel and dive insurance are recommended.
• Children’s prices for ages 4-14 years.
• No alcohol may be consumed prior to in water activities
• Minimum age for trying resort scuba diving is 12 years
• Please remember you need to allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying.
• If you are considering Scuba Diving you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire before
participating in any scuba activities.
• Some medical conditions OR medications may prevent you from scuba diving unless a current Australian Standards 'AS4005.1' Medical
Certificate can be shown to the Dive Instructor. This medical certificate must be performed pursuant to
the Australian standard AS.4005.1. (Queensland Dive Laws). If you are unsure of a particular medical
condition or medication, please check with our office before booking any scuba dive activities.
• Passengers intending to dive but restricted due to the aforementioned will not be offered a refund.