A visit to this tropical island is undoubtedly an unforgettable experience. The lush rainforest meets sandy beaches before giving way to the marine life and coral of the Great Barrier Reef.
Fitzroy Island is an excellent full-day excursion for exploring both the reef and the rainforest. The island is almost entirely covered in thick rainforest. Explore walking trails with spectacular views and chances to see local wildlife and birds during your Fitzroy Island Day Trip. The island has a significant military history, having served as a military base during World War II.
The Great Barrier Reef’s coral reefs and marine life are only a short distance from the beach. To explore this fascinating habitat, choose the option to add snorkeling to your full-day travel pass when making your reservation. Try one of the many available activities above the surface, such as glass-bottom boat cruises, paddleboarding, or simply relaxing on the renowned Nudey Beach.
The air-conditioned catamaran arrives at Fitzroy Island after 45 minutes.
The Fitzroy Island Day Trip provides approximately 6 hours to explore the island.
- Return transfers Cairns to Fitzroy Island onboard the Fitzroy Island Sundancer
- Fitzroy Island National Park
- Great Barrier Reef
- Full Day on Island: 8.45 am departure from Cairns, 4.45 pm return to Cairns with 6.5 hrs on the island)
Check-in is 30 minutes prior to boarding directly at the boat, Sundancer, located at Berth 7 on A Finger at the Cairns Marlin Marina.
This Fitzroy Island trip includes Return transfers to and from Fitzroy Island only.
- Snorkel Equipment Hire (mask, snorkel, fins, lycra suit) (+ $30 adult, $25 child, $85 family 2a2c)
- Glass Bottom Boat tour ( + $20 adult, $10 child, $50 family 2a2c)
- Guided Snorkel Tour (+ $49 adult, $29 child, $127 family 2a2c)
- Kayak or SUP Hire (+ $45 / hr or $25/ half hour, each)
- Kayak or SUP Tour ( + $79 adult, $69 child)
- Photos, camera hire, souvenirs, snacks and beverages at the bar On-island spend
- Hotel coach transfers: Return City Transfers are $25 per adult and $15 per child | Return Beaches transfers are $38 per adult and $25 per child
What to bring
- Towel, hat, sunscreen as well as swimwear and sunglasses
- Sturdy footwear if you intend to complete any of the Bushwalk Trails
- Cash or credit card for snacks, drinks and souvenirs
- In addition, you can bring along a picnic lunch, however, no alcohol is permitted due to the Resort liquor licensing. Foxy’s Bar is also open to purchase meals and drinks.
How to get there
Fitzroy Island Sundancer Transfers depart from the Marlin Jetty in Cairns.
Check-in is 30-45 minutes before boarding directly at the boat – the Fitzroy Island Sundancer, located at Berth 7 on A Finger at the Cairns Marlin Marina.
The main beach at Fitzroy Island is a coral beach. This can be uncomfortable to walk on with bare feet, so we recommend keeping your shoes on. Once you head over to Nudey Beach, there are soft white sands which can be accessed with bare feet.